Who doesn’t love vacation?! I’m so excited that my hubs and I will be heading out on a cruise for our 1 year anniversary, but I have to admit, packing is one of my least favorite things, especially for a long trip. I’m still amazed that I managed to fit 2 weeks worth of clothes in a carry-on for our Amalfi Coast honeymoon adventure, because for some reason packing for a 7 day cruise is taking a lot more space!
I think its because with a cruise you’re not lugging bags from town to town, so knowing that I have more “storage space”, I’m using it! That said, I think it’s still important to pack the essentials and choose items that coordinate. While getting my packing list together, I created this handy list of some key items I’m sure to pack when going on a cruise, and linked to some I’ve just purchased from Target! All are under $50, making your packing list concise and affordable.
- Metallic Sandals – dress them up or down! These will add a touch of boho glam to your outfit.
2. White Breezy Sundress – the perfect summer staple piece. Wear it as a cover up for a day by the pool, or dress it up with accessories for dinner. Every body type looks great in this breezy shift dress!
3. The Perfect Denim Shorts – I personally already own and love these shorts – comfortable, relaxed and my go-to pair! So you better believe they’re making it into my bag! Pair them with a classic V-neck tee for excursions off the ship or add a cute tank for a night of karoake.
4. The Carry All + Clutch – Do double duty with a tote bag that has a removable insert. During the day, carry your towel, book and sunscreen and at night, pull out the clutch with your essentials and go! I’ve been keeping my eye on this one that not only has a removable pouch, but it’s reversible too. Talk about multi-tasking!
5. Formal Dress – Essentially every cruise has at least one “formal night” and depending on which cruise line you’re sailing with, you could have two for longer cruises! I’m in love with this dress, complete with romantic ruffles.
6. Mix + Match Bikini – This fun swimsuit line has an overall look that allows for mixing and matching, so the final product options are endless. I just purchased this black + white top to pair with bright blue bottoms and coral bottoms I already have!
7. Sunglasses – you cannot go wrong with a classic pair of picture perfect sunglasses. Just make sure to put a good amount of sunscreen on so you don’t end up with racoon eyes! (Been there, done that, no good.)
8. The Perfect Sun Hat – I literally cannot go on a beach/coastal/tropical vacation of ANY kind without a good sun hat. I tend to actually pick a new one up on each cruise I go on, but I still pack one on my luggage to begin with. Not only will you stay cool in the shade, you’ll look great, too!
9 + 10 – The final perfiect pieces: Jewelry + Accessories
If you want to be able to glam up a casual sundress for dinner or make a v-neck tee and shorts look “cruise classy”, you’ll need to bring a few well thought out accessories. I recommend (and generally pack) one long necklace with a gold chain + neutral pendant so that it’ll go with most everything I pack. I also pack a statement necklace with a pop of color to go with my main color clothes, along with bracelets, classic earrings and a pair of statement earrings!
Mix and match these different pieces, and you’re guaranteed to look great no matter the day, excursion, weather or activity!
What essentials do you make sure to take on your vacations? Any cruise particulars this list is missing? Share in the comments below!